Monday 11 November 2013

Trading and Boxing


Something I have never mentioned before is my love of boxing.  I started boxing rather late, around 20 years old (most boxers who want to compete start at around 11-15). I was faced with the desire to compete but the realization that I had a huge knowledge and experience gap that I would have to fill if I wished to be a "competitive competitor". The long and short of this is I ended up training hard for around 4 years and had a few fights along the way. As I progressed my desire changed from wanting to compete to wanting to find a method of boxing effectively.  I did all I could think of to acquire knowledge, private coaching, books, changed clubs, dvds etc. I basically found that everyone had some good tips and advice but no one had an actual method.


I am now a boxing coach and continue to pursue this one method ideology not only for myself but for all I teach, i believe there's a reason boxing is called "the sweet science". There is a right and wrong way of doing everything, and if you learn the correct way you are highly likely to be successful in your attacks, while if you execute them with bad form you are likely to lose the exchange. Once you have this science down you can then bring in the "artistic" side and so legends are made,  Ali,  Ray Leonard, Tyson, Mayweather et al. This method approach I believe is entirely transferable to trading. I of course concede that teaching creativity is another matter entirely but I do believe all can learn the science. Over the years as a boxing coach I have developed my own method which I teach to my boxers and now watch them box competently and competitively. This method teaches the science of boxing in steps, I won't bore any would be reader with the details but they can basically be divided into 3 steps 1. physiology (physical correctness in all actions) 2. psychology (what to focus on while competing) 3. probabilities (learning and being aware of the best times to attack). I also guess a "pre-point" could also be made of warming up. The method is really quite simple, but that is what is required for a stressful environment and is probably why this method is on the whole successful (because it's easy to remember and learn).

Most aspiring traders have read "The Market Wizards" and are aware that those covered in the book made consistent profits while only a handful made truly astronomical sums. It is the former that I believe a method can be developed for...

Trading +boxing = Troxing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.